A social publishing approach is the cradle-to-grave, beginning to end approach for audience-based content development, distribution, and measurement.
It encompasses the entire process of audience-based editorial planning, content development — curated and created, content-triggered conversation management, distribution and, of course, consumption and conversion measurement. It includes keyword research and usage, monitoring across the social web, and conversion analysis.
8 tips on developing a social publishing approach for brands
1. Remember your core values and strengths. This set of values is constant for every month, every year.
2. Develop messaging that is supported by both curated and created content. Develop a vision of what you want to share and discuss.
3. Include both casual and serious content — longer form, as well as in the form of conversation starters.
4. Remember that conversation needs provocation. That is the role of contextual content. Create content that gets people talking.
5. Show your human side. Absolutely empathize with the audience via niche and general real time news and events.
6. Once you’ve got the approach for the month written out, develop an editorial calendar and use an arc for consumption and conversation. Think of it as a process of discovery for your audience. Remember most people will not be engaged all the time so its important to re-introduce the key points from time to time.
7. Next, distribute the content across multiple platform at different times. It’s important to have a deep understanding of how your audience uses, and consumes, content on these platforms.
8. Measure, report and repeat (or tweak)!