The Firebelly team went Lake Michigan on vacation together. People matter more than infrastructure, processes and protocol. We had a great time.
As an entrepreneur, I’m guilty of not taking taking enough time for myself. This year, I’ve reset. I’m putting the oxygen mask on first. And I decided to break a few rules along the way. I rented a house on the beach on Lake Michigan and invited my core team along.
Here’s a recap of what I told my team before going:
• No obsessing about work
• While you’re free to work, it can’t be your sole focus (and you preferably won’t do anything)
• You don’t have to get inspired
• You don’t need to come up with a great idea
RELATED POST: #AgencyLife: Stuff Social Media Marketers Are Preoccupied With
• There is no need for thinking of ROI
• You’re a valued member of our team – just bring your significant other
• We’ll eat at least one meal a day together
• We’ll hang out on the beach once a day
The trip was a blast.
Here are a few trip highlights:
• Consumed several bottles of prosecco
• Steph cooked for us the entire time
• Chad is incredibly chill and shared some of his secrets
• Discussed the state of our market and industry in 30 minutes
• Celebrated life
RELATED POST: Social Media Manager Life: 10 Things I Know To Be True After 10 Years
• Listened to great music
• Learned that you don’t have to be connected all the time—especially on the beach
• Learned about each other
• Watched the sun set several times together
• Enzo, my 4-year-old, asked “does the sun put on a swimsuit before it goes into the sea, papa?”
I’m incredibly thankful for Firebelly. It offers me the ability to work with great core team members and inspiring clients. It allows me to do things in my community and to stay balanced. It gives me a livelihood and the freedom to hang out, to stay engaged and be healthy.
Take a vacation. You deserve it.
Latest posts by Duncan Alney (see all)
- Jamie Gilpin On The Value Of Connections, Social Listening & A Culture Of Inclusion - July 1, 2019
- Social Media Referral Traffic: 6 Ways To Generate More Website Visits - January 22, 2018
- 3 Important Reasons Why Social Media Conversations Matter - February 27, 2017